Closing a bank account is a relatively straightforward process, but it’s important to follow the steps carefully to avoid any problems. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to close your ASB Bank account:
1. Make sure your account balance is zero
Before you can close your account, you’ll need to make sure that the balance is zero. This means transferring any remaining funds to another account or withdrawing them in cash.
You’ll also need to pay off any outstanding debts or fees.
2. Update your direct debits and automatic payments
If you have any direct debits or automatic payments set up from your ASB Bank account, you’ll need to update them to a new account.
You can usually do this by contacting the companies or organizations that receive the payments.
3. Close your account
Once you’ve made sure that your account balance is zero and updated your direct debits and automatic payments, you can close your account.
You can do this by visiting an ASB Bank branch, calling ASB Bank customer service, or sending a secure message through ASB Bank’s internet banking platform.
4. Wait for confirmation
Once you’ve closed your account, you’ll receive a confirmation from ASB Bank. This may take a few days to arrive.
5. Destroy your ASB Bank cards
Once you’ve received confirmation that your account is closed, you should destroy your ASB Bank cards. This will help to prevent them from being used fraudulently.
Here are some extra tips that could prove useful for closing your ASB Bank account:
- Give yourself plenty of time. It can take a few days or even weeks to close your account, so it’s important to start the process early.
- Be prepared to answer questions. When you close your account, ASB Bank may ask you some questions about why you’re closing it. Be prepared to answer these questions honestly.
- Get everything in writing. Be sure to get everything in writing from ASB Bank, including confirmation that your account is closed and a list of any outstanding fees or charges.